Prof. Dr. Laura Marchal-Crespo
University of Bern, ARTORG Center for Biomedical Engineering Research, Gerontechnology & Rehabilitation
Education and Academic Career
Education and Academic Career:
- Assistant Professor, ARTORG Center for Biomedical Engineering Research, University of Bern (2017- )
- Senior Research Associate, Department of Health Sciences and Technology, ETH Zürich (2016-2017)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Health Sciences and Technology, ETH Zürich (2010-2015)
- Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Dr. phil) in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of California at Irvine, USA, Advisor: Prof. Dr. David Reinkensmeyer, Thesis: Haptic Guidance for Enhancing Human Motor Learning: Application to a Robot-Assisted Powered Wheelchair Trainer (2009)
- Degree of Master of Science (Ms.) in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering , University of California at Irvine, USA, Advisor: Prof. Dr. David Reinkensmeyer, Thesis: A Simulator and Assist-as-needed Control Strategy for Learning to Drive a Power Wheelchair (2006)
- Degree of Bachelor of Science, Industrial Engineer (5-years BS degree, major in automatics and robotics), Technical University of Catalonia, UPC, Barcelona, Spain (2003)
Honors and Awards:
- Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) Professorship (2017-)
- Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) Marie Heim-Vogtlin grant (2014-2017)
- Nominee for the Annual BCI Research Award (2011)
- Marie Curie Incoming International Fellowship (2011-2014)
- Fundación Caja Madrid Postgraduate Fellowship (2009-2010)
- University of California Public Impact Honorable Mention Fellowship (2009)
- University of California Dean's Dissertation Fellowship (2009)
- Fariborz Maseeh best poster award (2006)
- Balsells Fellowship for the master studies at the University of California Irvine (2004-2005)
L Marchal-Crespo, M van Raai, G Rauter, P Wolf, R Riener
The effect of haptic guidance and visual feedback on learning a complex tennis task
Experimental brain research 231 (3), 277-291, 2014
L Marchal–Crespo, J Schneider, L Jaeger, R Riener
Learning a locomotor task: with or without errors?
Journal of neuroengineering and rehabilitation 11 (1), 2014
C Hollnagel, H Vallery, R Schädler1, I Gómez-Lor López, L Jaeger, P Wolf, R Riener, L Marchal-Crespo
Non-linear adaptive controllers for an over-actuated pneumatic MR-compatible stepper
Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, in press
L Marchal-Crespo, R Zimmermann, O Lambercy, J Edelmann, MC Fluet, M Wolf, R Gassert, R Riener
Motor execution detection based on autonomic nervous system responses
Physiological Measurement 34 (1), 2013
R Zimmermann, L Marchal-Crespo, J Edelmann, O Lambercy, M Fluet, R Riener, M Wolf, R Gassert
Detection of motor execution using a hybrid fNIRS-biosignal BCI: a feasibility study
J. Neuroeng. Rehabilitation 2012
L Marchal-Crespo, G Rauter, D Wyss, J von Zitzewitz, R Riener
Synthesis and control of an assistive robotic tennis trainer
Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (BioRob), 2012
L Marchal-Crespo, C Hollnagel, M Brugger, S Kollias, R Riener
An fMRI pilot study to evaluate brain activation associated with locomotion adaptation
Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), 2011 IEEE International Conference on.
J von Zitzewitz, A Morger, G Rauter, L Marchal-Crespo, F Crivelli, D Wyss, T Bruckmann, R Riener
A reconfigurable, tendon-based haptic interface for research into human-environment interactions
Robotica 1 (1), 1-13
Laura Marchal-Crespo, Jan Furumasu, David J Reinkensmeyer
A robotic wheelchair trainer: design overview and a feasibility study
Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 2010, 7:40 (13 August 2010)
Marchal-Crespo, L., Reinkensmeyer, D.R.
Haptic guidance can enhance motor learning of a steering task.
Journal of Motor Behavior, 2008 Nov; 40(6):545-56
Marchal-Crespo, L., Reinkensmeyer, D.J.
Effect of robotic guidance on motor learning of a timing task.
Proceedings of the Second IEEE/RAS-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics, 2008
Marchal-Crespo, L., Reinkensmeyer, D.J.
Review of Control Strategies for Robotic Movement Training after Neurologic Injury.
Journal of Neuroengineering and Neurorehabilitation, 2009; 6:20
Marchal-Crespo, L., McHughen, S.A., Cramer, S.C., Reinkensmeyer, D.J.
The effect of aging and haptic guidance on motor learning of a steering task.
Experimental Brain Research, 2009 Oct 10
Milot, M.H., Marchal-Crespo, L., Cramer, S.C. , Reinkensmeyer D.J.
Comparison of error amplification and haptic guidance training techniques for learning of a timing-based motor task by healthy individuals.
Experimental Brain Research, 2009 Sep 29
McHughen, S.A., Rodriguez, P. F., Kleim, J.A., Kleim, E.P., Marchal Crespo, L., Procaccio, V., Cramer, S.C.
BDNF val66met polymorphism influences motor system function in the human brain.
Cerebral Cortex, 2009 Sep 10.